Are contacts, related incidents, notes, tasks, and quotes deleted when I delete a sales opportunity?
When a sales opportunity is deleted, quotes, notes, and tasks that are associated with that opportunity are also deleted. The contact record and organization record that are associated with the sales opportunity are NOT deleted. As a result, incidents and other opportunities associated with the contact are not deleted and remain associated to the contact.
Prior to deleting an opportunity, you can save copies of quotes and save tasks so that they are not associated with an opportunity. That way, when you delete the opportunity, the copy of a quote is retained elsewhere. Similarly, tasks can be associated to the contact or organization even after the opportunity is deleted. Notes that are associated with an opportunity cannot be disassociated. As a result, notes are deleted with the opportunity.
Quotes: To save a quote before deleting the sales opportunity, use the steps below:
- Open the sales opportunity and click the Quotes tab.
- Click Edit next to the quote.
- In the pop-up window, click Edit Quote Document at the bottom of the window.
- Open an application (such as Word) where you can copy the content of the quote.
- Highlight all the content of the quote and press CTRL+C (or right click and select Copy).
- Paste the contents into Word or another application and save the file.
- Close the Word application.
- In the Quote window, click Cancel.
- In the Quote Edit window, click Cancel to return to the Quotes tab.
- Repeat for other quotes you wish to retain.
Tasks: You can edit a task so that it is not associated to a sales opportunity. To do this, use the steps below:
- Using a Tasks view or the Task quick search, search for the task of interest.
- Open the task for editing.
- For the Opportunity menu, select Clear so that no opportunity is listed in the field. Note that you can change the organization or contact as well.
- Click Save.
IMPORTANT! When you delete an opportunity, that opportunity is permanently deleted from the database along with the opportunity notes, associated quotes, and associated tasks. This action cannot be undone!
To delete a sales opportunity, use the steps below.
- Use a report that allows you to search for the opportunity.
- Click the Search icon to search for the opportunity.
- In the top grid, highlight the opportunity to delete.
- Open the opportunity to verify that this is the correct opportunity to delete. Then close the opportunity.
- With the opportunity highlighted in the top grid, right click on the opportunity and select Delete > Opportunity. Or, in the top navigation bar, click the Delete button and select Delete Opportunity(s).
After this action, the opportunity, associated quotes, notes, and tasks have been permanently deleted from the database.