How can we train new employees in using Oracle Service Cloud, but not allow them to send responses until the proposed responses have been reviewed?
Staff Accounts, Workspaces, Profiles, All versions
When training new staff to create incident responses, you can always have the trainee to compose their responses outside of the Oracle Service Cloud application, such as in Microsoft Word or in the body of an email, and then email the proposed response to the supervising agent for approval and sending. However, you may want them to create proposed responses within the application so that they can gain functional experience in your site as well.
You can create a custom profile for new trainees to prevent them from sending incident responses. This allows staff to edit and update incidents without inadvertently sending a response that has not been reviewed and approved.
When creating response content, new employees can either add a potential response to the Notes thread or the Response thread. However, if they add content to the Response thread, you should configure their workspace so that their response content is not committed to the thread when the incident is saved.
Note: Once a response thread is committed to the incident, that content cannot be edited. For this reason, you do not want new trainees to create response content that can be committed to the incident thread inadvertently.
By configuring a workspace to not commit the response to the thread, trainees can add content to the response field and save the incident, but that content is editable when the incident is re-opened later. Since the staff member cannot send responses, that staff member cannot commit the response thread to the incident either.
Within the workspace, the Commit Response On Save property with the Incident Thread relationship item indicates whether the response thread will be committed to the thread when the incident is saved. For the workspace used by new trainees, be sure that this property is set to False.
Therefore, to configure your site to allow trainees the ability to add proposed responses to incidents but not send them, use the steps below:
- Create a custom incident workspace and open it for editing.
- Click the Incident Thread relationship item (by default this item is on the body of the Messages tab).
- Set the Commit Response On Save property to False / disabled.
- Configure the rest of the workspace as you wish.
- Save the workspace.
- Create a multi-edit incident workspace for the staff member and set the Commit Response On Save property to False as well.
- Create a new staff profile and open it for editing.
- Click the Service tab and disable the Send Response check box.
- Set the incident workspace and the multi-incident workspace to the custom workspaces you created above.
- Save the profile.
- Create or open the staff account record and set the profile to be the profile you just created.
With this configuration, new employees can access the incidents to create response content for review by a supervisor or senior staff member. Even if you have new hires add response content to the Notes field, this configuration prevents response content from being inadvertently sent or committed to the incident thread by a new staff member.