How do we get web indexing set up for our site?
Web indexing allows additional web pages and documents that are not part of your published answers of your Oracle Service Cloud application to be included in searches from your Oracle Service Cloud end-user pages. The Web Indexer feature is sold separately from your Oracle Service Cloud application. For more information on pricing and options, please contact your sales account manager.
Configuring the web indexer on your site utilizes a configuration wizard. To implement web indexer for your site, use the steps below:
- Review configuration process. Before trying to configure the Web Indexer, review the comprehensive instructions in the documentation. Refer to the 'Indexing web pages' section in online documentation for the version your site is currently running. To access Oracle Service Cloud manuals and documentation online, refer to the Documentation for Oracle Service Cloud Products.
- Determine URL normalization. Once the basic concepts of Web Indexing are understood, the area most often problematic for users is URL normalization. URL normalization allows you to remove items such as php parameters from URL's so that multiple copies of a given URL are not indexed. The difficulty arises with the regular expressions or SED statements that are required to define the portions of the URL to change. The example given in the interface can be supplemented by the explanation found here:
- Configure Web Indexer for your site. Follow the instructions within the documentation and use a very specific site and small hop count to limit how far the web indexer searches.
- Log into Oracle Service Cloud console.
- Click the Configuration button on the navigation pane.
- Under Service --> Knowledge Base --> Double-click External Search Configuration. The Configuration Wizard opens on the content pane.
- Use the prompts in the Configuration Wizard to configure the Web Indexer. Click the Next button on the ribbon when you have finished configuring each page.
- Click Save when you are finished.
- Run keywordindexer utility -ew command: After the configuration wizard completes successfully, the keywordindexer utility must be run using the -ew command. To have this done, customers must submit an Ask Technical Support to run keywordindexer -ew and schedule regular times for keywordindexer -w to run in the future.
- Evaluate your initial configuration: After the utility runs, test your configuration for expected performance. You can then make changes to your configuration by re-running the configuration wizard and making small changes each time and checking the results in the external search log.
- Set up your Customer Portal (CP) to show web search results. Refer to Answer ID 5455 - External web search reference page for Customer Portal