How can I edit multiple records at the same time?
Analytics, Workspaces, Inline Editing
Oracle Service Cloud, All versions
The multi-edit feature can be used to modify multiple records (up to 250) at the same time. This feature allows you to edit multiple incidents, answers, contact records, and organization records with one edit. As a result, you have greater ability to manage the content of your database. Please note, this feature does not allow you to multi-edit Staff Accounts as you can with incidents, answers, contact records, and organization records.
Note: Dependent on your site, you may not be able to edit an entire group of 250 records at once. There could be other factors that limit the 250 record limit - the complexity of the records being edited, the amount of resources on a client machine, network traffic, etc.
Important! For staff members whose profile includes delete privileges, the multi-edit feature also allows you to delete multiple incidents, contacts, organizations or answers.
Use extreme caution when deleting multiple records. When records have been deleted, they are completely removed from the database and cannot be retrieved. In addition, if you delete a contact record, all of the associated incidents are also deleted along with all of the sales opportunities where that contact was listed as a primary contact. If you delete an organization, you delete all of the contacts and their incidents and associated sales opportunities as well.
Types of Records
When multi-editing records, the fields that can be modified are controlled by the multi-edit workspace that is named in the staff member's profile. This allows administrators the ability to add or remove specific fields that can be edited for multiple records. (See Answer 2466: Including fields in a workspace for information on how to modify fields in a workspace.)
To determine which workspace is used by a staff member, open the staff member's account to determine their staff profile and then open that profile to determine which workspace is used to multi-edit the type of record you are interested in.
Contacts and Organizations: With contacts or organizations records, use the multi-select feature to change the value of menu, and radio custom fields. In addition, with contact records, you can enable or disable the contacts and change the contact Type.
Answers: With answers, you can use the multi-select feature to set menu and radio custom fields. You can also change the status, the staff member the answer is assigned to, and you can add an internal note to all the answers if necessary.
Incidents: With incidents, you can modify menu and radio fields as well as the incident queue, status, and staff member the incident is assigned to. You can also add content to the Customer Entry, Response, and Notes fields and send responses to the contacts listed for the incidents.
Opportunities: With sales opportunities, you can modify menu and radio custom fields as well as summary information including the Assigned, Territory, Status, Strategy, Sales Stage, Closed and Forecast Close system fields.
Tasks: With tasks, you can change the assignment, including the opportunity. In addition, you can edit the due date, planned completion date and actual completion dates.
Editing Multiple Records From Report Results
- With the appropriate report, search for the group of records that you wish to multi-edit (for example, answers, incidents, contacts, organizations, or tasks). The records to edit should be listed in the search results of the report.
- To select a subset of items from a larger group, press the Control key and individually select the items you wish to edit from the records in the view grid. To highlight a consecutive list of items, click the first item in the list, press the Shift key, and click on the last item.
- Right click and select Open or Edit > Record and select the appropriate tab and field(s) to edit.
- Note: The fields available depend on what has been added to the multi-edit workspace for the data type.
- Edit the fields as appropriate.
- Click Save or Save and Close.
Editing Multiple Records Using the Ribbon
- With Inline Editing enabled in a report, press Ctrl while selecting each record.
- Click the Home tab.
- Click the Edit Selection button. A menu displays the fields that can be edited in the rows.
- Note: Not all fields are available for inline editing.
- Select the field that you want to edit.
- Edit the fields as appropriate.
- Click the OK button to apply the changes to the selected records.
Note: When a report is inserted into a workspace, there is no functionality to use the Multi-Edit feature. The report needs to be run from the Navigation Set, or the Analytics Console for the Multi-Edit feature to be available.