What are conditional sections that can be included in outbound mailings?
You can add sections of content to your documents that appear only to contacts who meet certain criteria. For example, you could add conditional sections for contacts who reside in a certain state or use a specific product. This conditional grouping is identified based on fields in the database, including custom fields.
When adding a conditional section, you use must associate a segment for which the conditional section applies. The segment uses filters and criteria to define your conditional group. The conditional section is inserted in the document and then you type the conditional text within the section borders.
When creating a conditional section, it may be necessary to create the complementary section as well. That is, if your conditional section notifies customers in California of specific information, you might need to create a conditional section for all non-California residents that includes information for the remainder of your contact base.
To add a conditional section to a mailing, use the steps below:
- Select New > Mailing to open the mailing editor.
- Select the type of mailing -- Broadcast or Transactional.
- On the Message tab, add the content for your mailing.
- To add a conditional section, from the Dynamic Content section, click Conditional Section.
- In the pop-up window, select the segment for which the conditional section applies and click OK.
If you need to create a new segment, click New Segment and define the filters and criteria for the segment to use with this conditional section. See
Answer ID 1954: Creating a contact list or a segment for a mailing or survey for more information.
When a segment is selected, the conditional section displays within the editing window. The section title or segment name displays in a gray header.
- Within the conditional section, enter the content in the lower, outlined box.
- Finish adding and editing your mailing and save the mailing.